Love Triumphs Over Hate

"Go and love!" A voice from God during the Vietnam War.

Operation mt.cai in tuy hoa

I (Jeong Myeong Seok) participated in the Vietnam War from 1966 to 1969. This episode happened during the Mt.Cai Operation in Tuy Hoa in 1967. My comrade (Yoo Kun Tae) and I ran into one of the Vietcong, only 3m apart between us. The enemy is already aiming a rifle at us, hiding behind a tall tree. Figuring out this fatal situation, my partner fainted there at once. And I lost my senses. Regaining consciousness, I saw the foe slowly pulling a trigger toward my chest. I called God and Jesus. I was about to be shot to death, merely in a matter of a split second.

God’s voice told me, “Love!”

A voice-so loud that the whole world could hear-came from Heaven, saying “Love!” Without a doubt, I knew it was God’s voice. I intended to drop my weapon and walk toward him, yet at the same time, I was extremely terrified by the thought that he might shoot at me any moment I moved. I couldn’t even open my mouth to plead with God so I merely asked Him in my mind, “He’ll shoot me if I do walk over there to show him love.” So I hesitated for a moment.

Another urgent voice was heard, “Love!” This time, I was deeply moved and immediately I felt someone pushed my back. I let go of my rifle and ran towards him. Tears in my eyes, I embraced him tightly and expressed my loving heart to him. He too gently released his weapon, put his arms around my waist and we cried together. By keeping the Word even at the risk of being shot to death, God saved both of our lives and we survived.

It was an extremely dramatic experience that gave me the assurance that God would take care of whatever the situation might be and would save me as long as I love Him and others. Indeed, the life of loving others made me who I am today and Providence has spread thought to the world. Even without you going through such an experience, be sure that you’ll be saved when you love others, regardless they’re your brothers, enemies or whoever.


CONVERSATION